On June 15th each year, National Smile Power Day shares one powerful expression.
From the good morning greeting and the first “How may I help you?” present yourself with a smile. No matter where you are employed, job seeking, retired, or looking for new horizons starting the day with a smile is certainly more empowering than a pout or grump. Starting with a smile first is easier than trying to get there later in the day.
When you smile at someone, you are telling them that they are valued and worth the smile that you just gave them. Smiles are morale boosters and confidence builders.
Research has proven that smiling really does increase attractiveness and likability between humans. Smiling creates greater trust and increased interpersonal cooperation. Smiling at someone can help them to relax and relieve their stress while at the same time, it will make you feel right. Even if you do not feel like it, smiling will lift your mood and can make you a happier person.
HOW TO OBSERVE #SmilePowerDay
Challenge yourself to smile more often today. Use a smile to disarm a tense situation, or simply smile during your daily tasks. Are you having trouble smiling? Try these tips to help you smile more:
- Think of a few happy moments that automatically generate a smile for you. You know, those moments where you belly laughed until your stomach hurts or a time when you were so pleased with yourself your face hurt from smiling. Keep those memories handy and use them to help you smile more often.
- Save a couple of short jokes that are just so silly you can’t help but smile. Tell them to others, too. The best ones are simple children’s jokes or riddles that play on words.
- Learn Spoonerisms. This fun way of swapping letters in two words in a phrase to make new words make people stop and think. And then they smile and so will you! An example of a Spoonerism is instead of ordering peas and carrots at a restaurant you say, “I’ll have the keys and parrots.”
- Make a list of the things you’re grateful for. Which ones make you smile? Keep the list handy and refer to it often. Add to it and feel your smiles add up.
Use #SmilePowerDay on social media.
NATIONAL SMILE POWER DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar is researching the history of this happily powerful day. While we do, we invite you to explore these other joyful days:
- National Play Catch Week
- International Drop A Rock Day
- International Clown Week
- Happiness Month
- International Top Spinning Day
- National JoyGerm Day
- Hunt For Happiness Week
- National Smile Day
IndyNews.com – © 2020 All Rights Reserved.