On August 5th National Underwear Day provides an opportunity to wear your favorite undergarments. Boxers. Briefs. Panties. Tighty-whities. No matter what you call them, our underthings provide a layer of comfort.
Many Americans have heard their mother’s warning. “Make sure to always wear clean underwear. You never know when you will be in an accident!” While there are other reasons to wear fresh underwear, this is the one that often comes to mind.
Underwear is the layer of clothing worn closest to the body and under the outer clothing. It protects clothing from sweat. Underwear also provides the wearer protection from cold and chafing. Another benefit to underwear includes support and body shaping.
Most of us see these intimate items of our wardrobe as necessities. However, others utilize them as accessories. Since fabrics allow underwear to be designed for specific needs, a wide variety are made for sports and specific climates. Depending on preference, some select garments for modesty or to feel alluring.
A 2012 survey by Elitedaily.com reveals that the average woman owns 20 pairs of underwear – for every day. Then, they own 14 extra pairs for special occasions.
In 2018, retailers reported an increase in the popularity of nude colors. Instead of bright fashion colors or sultry bedroom styles, shoppers sought something neutral. Skin blending shades that disappear under sheer outer clothes won consumers’ dollars.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalUnderwearDay
Embrace your body image. Use #NationalUnderwearDay to post on social media. If you are the bashful type, just wear your underwear around the house when no one is home. One can also celebrate by watching the 1983 romance comedy Risky Business starring Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay.
While you’re wearing your favorite underwear, consider these brief ways to celebrate. You might even reveal a naked truth.
- Read a book about the history of underwear. For example – Unmentionables: A Brief History of Underwear by Elaine Benson and John Esten.
- Buy some new underwear. You can never have too many pairs.
- Clean out your underwear drawer. (Yes, we know that might be unbearable.) But maybe we were wrong. You can have too many!
- Rank your brand of underwear on a comfort scale. You know, what’s the most comfortable underwear you’ve ever worn? It might be revealing.
- Tell a clean underwear joke. It’s harder than you think, too. But, we’ll get you started with these two:
- How long does it take to put on a pair of underwear? A brief second.
- Are you wearing holey underwear? No? Then how did you put your legs through them?
NATIONAL UNDERWEAR DAY HISTORY
Freshpair founded National Underwear Day on August 5th, 2003.
IndyNews.com – © 2020 All Rights Reserved.