Be ready to observe by having your glass of milk handy as it is National Oreo Cookie Day. This day is recognized across the nation each year on March 6th.
The Oreo sandwich cookie is made up of two chocolate disks containing a sweet cream filling and is loved by millions. Since its introduction, the Oreo cookie has become the best-selling cookie in the United States.
The National Biscuit Company (today known as Nabisco) first developed and produced the “Oreo Biscuit” in 1912 at its Chelsea factory in New York City. Today, the block on which the factory was located is known as “Oreo Way.”
- The name “Oreo” was first trademarked on March 14, 1912.
- The first Oreo cookies in the United States sold for 25 cents a pound in clear glass topped novelty cans.
- In 1912, the Oreo Biscuit was renamed to “Oreo Sandwich.”
- In 1948, the Oreo Sandwich was renamed to “Oreo Creme Sandwich.”
- William A. Turnier developed the modern-day Oreo design in 1952 to include the Nabisco logo.
- Nabisco’s principal food scientist, Sam Procello, developed the modern Oreo cookie filling.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalOreoCookieDay
Celebrate the day by taking a poll of your friends and family. Find out how they eat their Oreo sandwich? Do they:
A. Twist them apart, eat the cream center, and put them back together
B. Twist them apart, eat the cream and cookie side first, and cookie only side last
C. Twist them apart, eat the cookie side first, and the cookie and cream side last
D. Any combination of the above while dunking in milk
E. Eat them whole, sans milk
F. Eat them whole, with milk but no dunking
G. Eat them whole dunking all the way
H. Some other interesting combination the world has never heard about
Grab a glass of milk and a handful of Oreos to enjoy and use #NationalOreoCookieDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL OREO COOKIE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this iconic cookie holiday. However, we suspect an Oreo lover created the day.
Do you need more cookie days to celebrate? Check out these!
IndyNews.com – © 2020 All Rights Reserved.