• 7:17 pm
  • Saturday
  • September 18, 2021

Sycamore School Employee Arrested On Sex Abuse Charges

INDIANAPOLIS — A former program director at the Sycamore School in Indianapolis is behind bars.

Christopher William Pollard is accused of having sex with a student in 2010, while he was a coach and a teacher at a high school in Hagerstown, Maryland.

Police in Hagerstown say a victim came forward last summer. According to court documents, most of the sexual conduct happened inside Pollard’s home, when his former wife was not there.

Because of the time gap, police say no forensic evidence exists. However, several statements from witnesses and former students gave police what they needed.

Pollard is now in the Marion County Jail, awaiting an extradition hearing.

In an emailed statement to families on Friday, Diane Borgmann, head of the school, said Pollard has been “released from Sycamore School’s employment and is no longer allowed on campus.”

The post Sycamore School Employee Arrested On Sex Abuse Charges appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Colorado Man To Stand Trial For The Murder Of His Wife, a Hoosier

SALIDA, Colo. — A judge has ruled there’s enough evidence for the case to proceed against a Colorado man charged with killing his wife — who was from Alexandria, Indiana.

49-year-old Suzanne Morphew was reported missing on Mother’s Day, last year, after she did not return from a bike ride near her home in Salida, Colorado. Suzanne’s body still has not been found. She leaves behind two children.

On Friday, a judge ruled that her husband, 53-year-old Barry Morphew, would stand trial for her presumed death. He will be in court on May 3.

The post Colorado Man To Stand Trial For The Murder Of His Wife, a Hoosier appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Understanding the Indy Crime Fighting Investments

INDIANAPOLIS–This week the Indianapolis City-County Council approved spending $150 million to help fight crime and its root causes in the city. That money will go to provide for putting more cops on the street, but also to make sure when people get out of jail or prison that they get the help they need to not offend again.

“The American Rescue Plan dollars will work hand-in-hand with the 2022 operating budget. Those initiatives will compliment some of the investments that are in the 2022 operating budget,” said Taylor Schaffer, chief of staff for Mayor Joe Hogsett.

The money for the new programs and new officers was approved by Congress during the COVID pandemic.

Shaffer said Indy is putting the money to work to help reduce violent crime.

“Those dollars will move into a fiscal recovery fund that the city-county enterprise will be able to leverage to make the investments,” she said. “One hundred new police officers, 50 additional peacemakers, re-entry services, mental health services, a wide variety of investments in the community.”

I want to thank the @IndyCouncil for the unanimous passage of the first several key components of a comprehensive fiscal package aimed at making our community safer, our neighborhoods stronger, and our workforce more prepared for good-paying jobs in the modern economy.

— Mayor Joe Hogsett (@IndyMayorJoe) September 14, 2021

The 100 officers will be added over three years time. The peacemakers are part of a program that the Hogsett administration believes has worked in stopping violent incidents.

In addition to 100 cops, the city will also be able to hire unarmed personnel to help with the paperwork and other tasks, freeing up the sworn officers to work the streets.

In a year where Indy is dealing with record-breaking violence, the solution may not be clear. But, the mayor’s office has pushed for the investments in the hope that attacking some of the root causes will at least cut down on it.

In addition to putting money toward hiring new officers, the technology will also get upgrades, like gunshot detectors and license plate readers.

The post Understanding the Indy Crime Fighting Investments appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

IU Health Workers Forced to Quit for Not Getting Vaccinated

Hospitals locally and across the nation are allegedly “overwhelmed” and “unable to provide adequate emergency care for the sick.”

If true, that situation is unlikely to improve following a decision by Indiana University Health to terminate 125 employees who declined to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

“Indiana University Health has put the safety and well-being of patients and team members first by requiring employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Sept. 1,” a spokesperson said in a statement. “After a two-week unpaid suspension period ending Sept. 14, a total of 125 employees, the equivalent of 61 full-time employees, chose not to receive the COVID-19 vaccine and have left the organization.”

Exemptions were only allowed on medical or religious grounds.

Rob Kendall and “Substitute Mock” discussed the terminations and the increasing intrusion on your Constitutional liberties on today’s show. Click below to listen.

The post IU Health Workers Forced to Quit for Not Getting Vaccinated appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

IMPD Releases Body Camera Footage of August Police Shooting

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – On Friday, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department released body camera footage of an August police shooting.

Around 8:30 p.m. on Aug. 27, officers were called to multiple reports of shots fired in the 7700 block of Hackberry Court. That’s in the Greentree Apartments off Madison Avenue north of Stop 11 Road.

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND LANGUAGE

Body cam video

The first officer on the scene found a man matching the description given by a caller. While being asked by the officer to drop his gun, the man, 31-year-old Aung Aung shot at the officer.

More officers arrived and continued trying to get the man to drop his gun before shooting him.

Prior to officers getting to the scene, IMPD said Aung actually fired a shot at a citizen.

According to the video, after several minutes, Aung tossed his gun to the side as officers then administered medical aid and placed him in handcuffs.

Aung’s gun was recovered at the scene.

At the time of the shooting, Aung was transported to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi hospital for treatment. He has since been released from the hospital and is currently in the Marion County Jail, according to police.

Aung faces a number of charges including, attempted murder, criminal recklessness, carrying a handgun without a license.

The post IMPD Releases Body Camera Footage of August Police Shooting appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Biden Loves Lying: His Latest Whopper

President Joe Biden is certified ‘life-hyper.’ He enjoys bragging about his actual accomplishments, sure, but he’s much more proud of the accomplishments that he completely “invents” on the fly!

Most people consider the tendency to constantly lie about one’s achievements to be a character flaw, but Joe Biden apparently thinks it’s a form of art. And like all great artists, the president has spent many years honing his craft.

The president’s latest artistic expression occurred Monday when he claimed at a wildfire-focused event in Idaho that his “first job offer” came from Boise Cascade, a local lumber and wood-products business. Joe added that he regularly spoke of the job offer with his Senate colleague from Idaho, the late Democratic Senator Frank Church.

“I used to tell Frank Church this, I got a — my first job offer, where I wanted — my wife, deceased wife and I wanted to move to Idaho because we — not a joke — it’s such a beautiful, beautiful state. And I interviewed for a job at Boise Cascade,” Biden said.

He added: “And in the meantime, there was a war going on. Anyway. But the whole point was that I used to always kid Frank.”

Good old Frank. Oh, the precious times they shared together reminiscing about Biden’s job offer at Boise Cascade.

Fortunately for Joe, dead men tell no tales, and Senator Church has been dead for nearly 40 years. Unfortunately for Joe, Boise Cascade spokeswoman Lisa Tschampl is alive and well, and she told The Post, “We have no record of President Biden’s application or of him having worked for the company.”

Fun Fact: Biden’s 2007 memoir “Promises to Keep” does not mention the company or a desire to move to Idaho.

Mock n’ Rob explored Joe Biden’s prolific history of lies on today’s show. Click below to listen.

The post Biden Loves Lying: His Latest Whopper appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Don Lemon: Bringing Americans Together By Shaming The Unvaccinated

President Joe Biden is a man who promised to unite divided Americans and bring this great country back together again.

“Build Back Better” isn’t just about giving trillions of your hard-earned tax dollars to unions, Americans who refuse to work for a living, and global warming climate change initiatives. It’s about building back relationships with the political adversaries you loathe.

Yes, if multiple accusations of inappropriate touching have taught us anything, it’s that Joe Biden believes in the power of warm hugs that foster friendships, team spirit, and the occasional need for multiple years of therapy to cope with the trauma of your encounter with him.

The president’s promise of renewed togetherness is being carried forth throughout the nation by the loving messengers of unity at CNN. September’s Biden Administration MVP Don Lemon is among the most vocal.

Lemon announced during an emotionally enriching conversation with fellow CNN host Chris Cuomo Wednesday that it was time for Americans to shun “stupid” unvaccinated people, adding that they should be left behind because they were “harmful to the greater good.”

CNN’s @DonLemon: Like Trump voters, we should call unvaxxed Americans “stupid” and “start shaming them”

“Or leave them behind. Because they’re keeping the majority of Americans behind.” pic.twitter.com/6Ga4oQ7kic

— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) September 16, 2021

“I think we have to stop coddling people when it comes to … the vaccines, saying ‘Oh you can’t shame them. You can’t call them stupid.’ Yes, they are. The people who aided and abetted Trump are stupid because they believed his big lie,” Lemon said, confusing President Trump’s enthusiasm for the vaccines that were developed as a direct result of “Operation Warp Speed” with Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’ pre-election message of vaccine hesitancy. “The people who are not getting vaccines who are believing the lies on the internet instead of science, it’s time to start shaming them or leave them behind.”

Thank you, Don, for spreading that helpful message of unity. Remind your buddy, Chris, to wear his mask in public.

The post Don Lemon: Bringing Americans Together By Shaming The Unvaccinated appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Indy Night Market Returns Sept. 25

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indy Night Market, a popular nighttime food festival, is returning with a fall edition.

The fall Indy Night Market will take place Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021, from 6-10 p.m. in the open lot behind 2955 N. Meridian St. In the chance of rain, the event will be rescheduled for Oct. 2, 2021. Admission is free.

During Indy Night Market, attendees can celebrate the city’s diverse food scene and culture by visiting food vendors and booths by local chefs, artists, restaurants, and businesses. The Night Market will also feature live entertainment and a Kids Corner with family-friendly activities. It is also pet-friendly.

The last market, which was held on Juneteeth, drew over 2,000 visitors and had over 30 local vendors. Organizers expect the fall market to be even larger.

(Photo provided by Growing Places Indy.)

“Indy Night Market is a great opportunity to support local artists and entrepreneurs within Indianapolis’ food scene,” said Jacob Sipe, Executive Director of the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority. “This event is a unique way for Downtown Indy to celebrate culture and diversity while enjoying some of the best food in the city.”

The Indy Night Market is organized by the local non-profit Growing Places Indy.

To stay updated with news about the event, follow Indy Night Market on Facebook and Instagram.

The post Indy Night Market Returns Sept. 25 appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Indy Animal Care Services to Hold a ‘Clear the Shelters’ Event

INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis Animal Care Services will hold a Clear the Shelters event on Saturday in an effort to find forever homes for cats and dogs in their care.

The event will run from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the shelter on S. Harding Street.

In the last two weeks, IACS has taken in more than 650 animals, with more animals coming in each day.

There are currently about 140 animals available for adoption. The shelter needs to find homes for as many as possible to avoid putting temporary crates back in the hallways.

If you find your new best friend during the event, you’ll go home with a goodie bag filled with a sample bag of food, coupons, a food measuring cup, a keychain, and a litterbox scoop or clip-on bag dispenser.

You can view pets up for adoption at Petfinder.

The post Indy Animal Care Services to Hold a ‘Clear the Shelters’ Event appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0

Notre Dame Sued By Former Football Player Over Concussions

SOUTH BEND, Ind.–The University of Notre Dame is being sued by a former Fighting Irish football player. Richard Morris claims the school did not educate players about the dangers of concussions.

The lawsuit claims the school and the NCAA both failed to warn players about the dangers, despite having the medical information.

Morris is a former defensive lineman and played on the 1988 championship team. He also says he dementia, short-term memory loss, tinnitus, insomnia, speech problems, emotional instability and depression. Morris claims each of the ailments is a result of head injuries received while he played for the school from 1985 to ’88.

The suit says Notre Dame and the NCAA placed profit above the health of its players.

“While the NCAA and Notre Dame knew of the harmful effects of [head injuries] on athletes for decades, they ignored these facts and failed to institute any meaningful methods of warning and/or protecting the athletes,” reads part of the lawsuit.

“For defendants, the continued expansion and operation of college football was simply too profitable to put at risk.”

Morrison said studies go back to 1905 on the harmful effects of concussions, so there was plenty of information available.

Neither Notre Dame nor the NCAA had responded to the suit, reports the South Bend Tribune.

Other players have sued, some in class-actions suits. One such suit brought a $75 million settlement from the NCAA, but no admission of wrong doing.

Morris and his wife now live in Virginia.

The post Notre Dame Sued By Former Football Player Over Concussions appeared first on 93.1FM WIBC.

0
%d bloggers like this: